Dragan Kitanovski, 72, of Bexley, died in June last year. Dragan Kitanovski, 72, of Bexley, died in June last year after an allergic reaction to X-ray dye administered by a radiographer at Hurstville.
THE State Coroner has called for radiology staff to be trained in resuscitation after a third person died from an allergic reaction to X-ray dye used during routine CT scans, an inquest heard.
After the three-day inquest looking into two of the deaths, magistrate Mary Jerram said she had heard of a recent third death, and recommended radiology clinics also have access to a defibrillator and to pulse monitors.
The inquest found Dragan Kitanovski, 72, of Bexley, died in June last year from a combination of an allergic reaction and prior heart problems, following the injection of a contrast dye for radiological imaging at Southern Radiology MRI Centre at Hurstville.
Awad Daoud, 63, of Punchbowl, died from a cardiac arrest caused by an allergic reaction after being injected with dye needed for a CT scan at a private clinic at Bankstown in March 2011.
In both cases, a doctor was called by the radiographer to administer drugs and oxygen when it appeared the men had suffered a reaction.
Both were taken to local hospitals by paramedics but were unable to be revived.
Neither had advised staff about their medical history, because of a lack of English.
Mr Kitanovski’s son, Tony, said the inquest had given him some closure but he believed more needed to be done in order to prevent similar deaths.
His family was suffering shock from his father’s death as well as the unexpected death of his brother in 2009.
He said radiology staff should be fluent in English, and he was disturbed that the person who had filled out his father’s consent and medical history forms spoke only broken English and had required an interpreter at the inquest.
“Obviously someone who speaks broken English is not going to be the best person to help fill in forms,” Mr Kitanovski said.
His father spoke English as a second language, and Ms Jerram said that it was not clear whether he had understood the importance of the answers to be given on the consent forms.
Ms Jerram recommended radiology clinics providing contrast dye imaging should have multilingual information forms available, and have a full medical history of their patients before any procedures were done.
“I was a little concerned about the lack of detailed information provided by each patent’s referring general practitioner.”
But she said that staff at the clinics and hospitals could not be blamed for either of the deaths.
“There can be no major criticism of any of the personnel involved in the treatment of Mr Daoud and Mr Kitanovski, both at the two clinics and at the two hospitals,” Ms Jerram said.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.